Friday, December 28, 2007

Tribute 2007

Five remarkable people were lost to J-land in 2007. Four succumbed to cancer, albeit to different forms of the disease. One other died of an accident, caused by old age. All were outstanding personalities.

To say I knew these five is overstating it. Unless you have spoken to someone on the phone, or met them in person, you cannot really claim to know them well. However, their writings did convey an idea of their personality.

Jim (halliday0957) was an old soldier, who was a young man during World War II. His escapades were legendary, as were his struggles with computers and AOL. Old age crept up on him, and it's often said that deaths come in three: he was the third, following the death of two of his old pals. Those who knew Jim will agree that he was a character, and missed in the community.

Kim (demandnlilchit) had the misfortune of suffering from a particularly aggressive form of breast cancer. Her attitude was an example to anyone afflicted by this disease, as has so often been highlighted in the last few days.

Lahoma (mzgoochi) had suffered a third and final relapse of leukaemia, and complications meant that her system was too severely weakened. Apart from a battle with cancer, she also had to do battle with trolls - shame on whoever leaves nasty comments here. I lost track of her for a while, but am aware that she was a reliable friend to quite a few people in her area, who are also in J-land.

Barb (babe73boo) came onto the radar as her cancer had relapsed, and her death came rapidly. I barely knew her.

Penny (penniepooh) had also suffered a relapse of leukaemia, which claimed her after a short spell early in October. I didnot read her much beforehand, but again (like the ladies highlighted above) was noted for a strong spirit in a failing body.

Although formal research has not found that a positive attitude makes any difference in your chances of survival in cancer, it does help. The four women who were taken by cancer all stood out because of their strength of spirit, making them an example to many.

Jim, Kim, Lahoma, Barb and Penny: your struggles are over, your pains past. Rest in peace. You have made a mark, and were a leading light to many.

Guido
http://journals.aol.co.uk/pharmolo/NorthernTrip

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very well said Guido. Thank you for the post. Like many I will miss these 4 ladies. I didn't know Jim or read his journal others have and I hope they will write here as you did.

Sunny

Anonymous said...

You did very well-no one can hold a candle to those kind words.........lovely.........they will be missed.......although I barely had the chance to get to know  the ones that I did but they left an indelible mark on me........

Anonymous said...

May they all rest in peace and hopefully we will met again some where and some time.
Bill

Anonymous said...

Glad you posted this here Guido.  It is wonderful that J-Land now has a permanent memorial to its departed members.  They will all be greatly missed.

Anonymous said...

A great tribute, Guido!!

Joann

Anonymous said...

I will be them all.

Anonymous said...

This was a nice tribute to those who passed, Guido.  This memorial journal was a nice thing to create, my thanks to blazensun for making this happen.
Sam

Anonymous said...

Guido,

What a lovely way of remembering those who have passed. Thank you for this fitting tribute.

Being in the UK I did not know any of these people personally as maybe some of you did, but saying that it did not mean that I did not hope and pray that their suffering would be eased and their treatments would work and their families be spared .

The only person whose journal i read and commented on was Kim's, she was an absolutely remarkable person with such a huge heart and an amazing attitude to life, even when she was kicked so hard and was down she still made light of the situation and truly was an inspiration to all who had the pleasure of coming into contact with her.

Kim............ Your final fight is over, you have gone home, free of pain and suffering to be strong once more. Good Night, God Bless and Thank You for all the joy that you gace to us while you were on this Earth.

Rest in Peace my Friend  .......  Jayne.

Anonymous said...

Guido,
what you are doing here is a beautiful thing. Thank you for your time in honoring those who will be missed so deeply. I started reading the comments on my sister Kim's passing yesterday and could not believe how it made me feel so much comfort and it did ease some of my emptiness in knowing how many people loved her. It is so nice to know that there are still alot of caring and so many good people walking around in our world...thank you for your tribute to Kim...she will be missed. Kelly

Anonymous said...

Such a lovely tribute, Guido.  Of course, I knew Penny extremely well, as we started our journals at the same time and were two lost souls floating in the vastness of JLand.  Kim, I read but, sadly, lurked.  What a beautiful lady she was, inside and out.  Lahoma, I started reading after she had her third bout.  Another beautiful, gutsy lady.  All three left a child or children behind, which breaks my heart.  I didn't know the other two.  Thanks!  Chris

Anonymous said...

This is a wonderful memorium to five people who touched so many lives in J/land be it in a short time or long.May perpetual light shine upon them all.Amen RIP .Thankyou Guido .God Bless.Kath
astoriasand http://journals.aol.co.uk/astoriasand/MYSIMPLERHYMES

Anonymous said...

Very well written Guido...

I didn't know all the JLand Angels.  But May They Rest In Peace.

Jim I knew, and he was speciall  A gentleman of the old school I felt.  He was so lovely, caring and kind hearted.  He loved  his family and wife Jean so much and wore his heart on his sleeve.  How sad I was when he was taken so suddenly.  I was so looking forward to reading his story of his service years.  I often think of him and can imagine his voice.  I smile at him then....

As for Kim..what a strong mind and heart this young woman had.  I admired her strength and tenacity so much.  Her allowing doctors to give her various treatments in the hope of banishing her cancer for at least a long time was so selfless.  Just moments in time but precious ones was what she asked for.  Not for herself but for her husband and children.  We saw the best of Kim in all that she wrote.  Her courage love and humour were uppermost and so admirable.  I for one will always remember 'My lovely Irish Eyes'.  She found a place in my heart and will always stay there.
God Bless her.
Jeanie

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful tribute Guido.  Sadly, the only two I knew was Penny and Kim.  I will miss them both.
~D
http://journals.aol.com/heavenlybama/journey-to-success

Anonymous said...

I did not know all you mentioned...Penny & Barb I knew the best, Kim I had dropped in on a few times.
But may they all have found peace, & now they are free of pain.
Prayers going up for the families of ALL those that have gone on ahead, may they find peace.
God bless,
Sugar

Anonymous said...

I remember Jim so well.  He said he started his blog because of me and that I was his mentor. Believe me he did not need any help from me, he was a very fine writer. He always wanted to get his memoirs of his military career published but said he did not think anyone would be interested.  He was always asking me for re-assurance that what he had posted was o.k. and sending me e-mails in general.  He sent a lovely e-mail when I was diagnosed with breast cancer and it was from him and his wife, Jean. He was a great family man and a gentleman of the old school.  It is such a shame that he had so little time in J-Land but I am sure it made his last months much happier.

http://journals.aol.co.uk/jeanno43/JeannettesJottings/

Anonymous said...

Beautiful tribute Guido!

Hugs
Terri